Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Day 6






Today I feel human.  I managed to shave my legs with my shower, (not bending over is getting kind of old) and went for a walk with my husband in a cute little town down the road.  The weather was beautiful and the sunshine felt so good.  I'm told that I'm talking very well now and I'm getting better at drinking from a cup without dribbling. (always a bonus)  I did some dishes, much to my mother's dismay and enjoyed a lovely bowl of pureed chicken and rice soup.  I know that sounds gross, but I pureed a can of Campbell's chicken and rice soup and it was soooo yummy.  I know, I know....high in sodium.  Sue me.  I was hungry and it tasted good.  I know a lot of people swear by organic, low sodium, no dairy, blah blah blah.    It's not practical for me.  I love dairy and although I eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, yada yada, I'm also a typical American who sometimes eats processed crap because it tastes good and things from a can because it's easy.  Also, I think most people mistakenly blame the dairy for being binding, when in fact it is the narcotics we are taking for pain.  For this issue I have two words, COLACE and PRUNE JUICE (okay that was 3 words).  And start before surgery....nuff said.

My bite is still off but I'm trying to be patient that it will settle when the joint swelling  decreases.  I really can't close my teeth well, it hurts too badly.  The only true pain I have is in my joints, right is much worse.  Everything else is mostly weird, uncomfortable pressure.  I have a lot of numbness of course, but I have been able to feel my bottom lip and chin the whole time.  This made the OS very happy.  He said only 5% of people have feeling there post operatively and it means I shouldn't have much permanent nerve damage.  I'm fairly numb from my lower eye lids to and including my top lip and my cheeks to about the outside edge of my eyes.  That whole section of my midface is quite numb but tingles more every day.  I'm told that almost always comes back entirely.

So, today was a good day.  I'm still in pain, but functional.  And although the tingling and crawling all over my face is annoying, I know its a great sign that my nerves are healing.  And even though I look like Dr. Seusse when I smile, I'm greatful to be able to smile at all.  Tomorrow, I think my goal is to put on some make up and do my hair, then I'll really feel like me again.

Side note:  I just took a break from typing and we made homemade strawberry milkshakes.   OMG,,,so good!  I've never had a homemade milkshake before.  And I DO NOT feel guilty because it was another serving of fresh fruit for today  :)

Until tomorrow
Smile, it looks good on you.

12 comments:

  1. Nichole!! You're smiling today! I'm so happy to hear that it sounds like you're at the turning point of getting over the worst part of it. Thanks too for the tips re: prune juice. I would not have thought to start before.

    Your profile looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie, thank you! I thing you're right and the worst is over (fingers crossed). I expected much more misery, glad it didn't end up that way. And about the pain meds...assume that they will mess up your stomach. Don't wait until it happens though, take action from the beginning and you'll be fine. This is the case with all surgeries and/or large amounts of narcotics.

      Delete
  2. Nichole, you are looking fantastic! You also look so young! As for the numbness, that's amazing! I personally couldn't feel any part of my lower lip or chin for at least 4 weeks and then only parts of the right side for about another 4 weeks. Now, at 3.5 months post op I can feel a little over the entire area but it tingles like mad, still feels like I'm wearing a mask and is about 50% numb. it takes a really long time to come back. I'm nervous because I have to go back for a 3rd surgery to remove all the hardware that remains due to my body rejecting the titanium metal, and I'll be numb all over again. Oh well, that's life I guess! Good news is it will not be able to cause problems down the road I guess :-)

    Anyway, just wanted to say you're looking wonderful lady!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara,

      thanks! I think the swelling has temporarily smoothed out the wrinkles :)

      That is awful for you to have to go through all the procedures to remove hardware. But you're right, it will be better down the road. I have a plate and screws in my wrist for a few years now. I'm hopeful that my body won't mind the hardware in my face either. I'm pretty close to being a bionic chic I think!

      I hope your third surgery goes well and it will be all be forward progress from there!

      Delete
  3. It is FANTASTIC to see you smile! Your pics look great, especially your profile. It's also great to hear that your nerves are healing. Here's to being on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Amanda! Cheers to mending. Oh, and to no more smooshy face (yay me).

      Delete
  4. Wow! Look at that smile! You are a warrior goddess...Seriously. You are looking great! Glad to see you are making such great progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good girl! You can see the swelling has subsided a bit and that is fab news about your nerves. Great to see you smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone that you look fabulous, even your bruising is fading already too. Glad your over the worst and I look forward to being there soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like everyone else said...LOOK AT YOUR SMILE! You look great at day 6!!! It must of been nice to go outside. Do you know what caused all the swelling in your joint?? Does this usually happen?

    PS-I've been planning on eating blended Campbell's for months now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki,

      Sorry for the delayed response. The docs said I had more swelling than normal. They had never seen someone start swelling while still on the OR table. So, they said some of that swelling is also translated to a traumatized joint. Said they did a lot of manipulation to the joints during surgery and its like spraining your knee, the joint has pain and swelling, but will heal eventually. They said they have seen the joint swelling before.
      How are you? Are you still blening foods? Thought you'd be mostly recouperated by now.

      Delete
    2. Sorry Nikki, Had you confused with another Nikki. Soooo confusing...I also go by Nikki, hehe.

      Delete